Saturday, October 10, 2009

2 Books to Change your Life

Now it's time to step it up. I reviewed a few short stories at the beginning of the week, but today I would like to suggest a few novels to our (very few) readers.

As an English major at Samford, I read ALL THE TIME. Reading was my job, but I didn't always enjoy what I read. Since graduation, I have had some time to read the books that I wanted to read. Which, if you ask any English major, is a luxury. Sadly, it's a luxury I don't always give my own students--that's a post for a later date.

My biggest fear in writing this post is that I've been moved by a book that is uninteresting to others. But, to be honest, I wouldn't bother you with books that aren't the most interesting I've opened in years.


On Chesil Beach, by Ian McEwan

This author, Ian McEwan, was introduced to me by a professor at Samford. We spent most of our time in the English department reading classics, so Atonement, the first of McEwan's novels that I read, was change of scenery. I distinctly remember Dr. Johnson telling my class that McEwan was an author to watch. Since then I've bought everything I could find by this interesting author. Just like Atonement, On Chesil Beach was unlike any book I've read before. I hinted that I wanted to read this book for weeks and Ben listened. On our way to our honeymoon house in Seaside, Florida, my husband presented me with this book. Just let me say that, while I highly recommend this book, I do not highly recommend that you read it on your honeymoon or if you wouldn't be comfortable with a 200 page book devoted to the sexuality of one couple.

As I settled into my lounge chair for an afternoon in the sun, I read the first chapter to myself. Somewhere in that first chapter, I read an interesting sentence about the newlywed characters, Edward and Florence: "And they had so many plans, giddy plans, heaped up before them in the misty future, as richly tangled as the summer flora of the Dorset coast, and as beautiful." I read that sentence out loud to Ben because I was on my honeymoon, it reminded me of our own future, and it was beautifully written. Ben took the book out of my hands and read until he caught up with me.

Just like our own unknown future, Ben and I did not know what ending awaited Edward and Florence. With one copy between the two of us, we spent the week passing the book back and forth on the beach and reading to each other in bed. Even Harry Potter had to wait. This book will incite such provocative discussions, especially if you are married or in a serious relationship.

Although I hate to pull from the book cover, I must: "Ian McEwan has caught with understanding and compassion the innocence of Edward and Florence at a time when marriage was presumed to be the outward sign of maturity and independence. On Chesil Beach is another masterwork from McEwan--a story of lives transformed by a gesture not made or a word not spoken."

In what ways are we more mature and independent than couples from the 60s? In what ways have we grown--independently or sexually--in the last 50 years? If we communicate--and keep all parts of our relationship open to discussion--does that make us more mature than previous generations? Does our generation's liberation and consequent loss of innocence make all of this maturity and independence possible?

I guarantee you will ask, and try to answer, these questions (and more) as you read about Edward and Florence, the 1960s, and how family, friends, and culture influence relationships.


A Parchment of Leaves, by Silas House

Although Silas and I grew up in London, Kentucky, 5 years apart in school, we didn't meet until last year. Okay, okay, last year we didn't technically meet, but Silas came to our school and spoke to our seniors about writing, character development, and story telling. He didn't just speak to an auditorium of 18 year olds; I was also a changed woman.

The first Silas House novel I read was Clay's Quilt. Our seniors must read a novel by a Kentucky author (Barbara Kingsolver is another option), and I knew my students would love Clay's Quilt. The story didn't disappoint. Clay is a teenager growing up in Kentucky, listening to Bob Dylan, experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex. By the end of the book, he has found so much more than Dylan and teenage experimentation.

But the book that follows, A Parchment of Leaves, offers even more. Silas House knows Kentucky and character development and those two elements make a beautiful picture in the reader's mind. This is the story of Saul Sullivan and his new bride Vine. Let me just be honest--this book is all about Vine (which is why I still can't force Parchment on Ben). Vine is a young Native American who leaves her family's home for true love and the book follows her through the first 5 years or so of her marriage.

Vine has the most amazing ability to learn life lessons from every experience. She recognizes her family's influence over her early in life, she learns how to be a good wife and daughter-in-law (even though she is taken away from her childhood home), she learns what it means to be a true friend, a strong woman, and a gentle mother to their young daughter Birdie. She never gives up or walks away from those responsibilities.

I do not want to reveal too much of the plot because I don't want to ruin the twists and turns that House created for the Sullivans. Please read this book and then we can talk details, life-changing characters, and your new favorite author.

Vine is, without exaggeration, the most amazing female character I have ever read. This is the most beautiful story I have read in my entire life. I will shamelessly promote this book for the rest of my life. You must read every word.

3 comments:

Michael Douglas said...

interesting... I wish I could read more for fun.

Silas House is the Writer in Residence (maybe a professor) at Lincoln Memorial University, where I'm in med school. IT might as well be in Kentucky (it's like a mile from the KY border - everybody raves about him

Melissa said...

My jaw dropped as soon as I read the line "on our way to our honeymoon house..." I cannot believe you (both) read that book on your honeymoon! Wow. Like you, I've read so much McEwan over the past few years, and that novel will never leave the nooks of my memory. It was such a tangible story...I can still picture the last scene by the water. I think I need to revisit it.

I think I told you earlier, but A Parchment is on my list for this year, so I'll be reading it soon! Can't wait.

Thanks for such great reviews.

Lauren Jones said...

Read both of these last month after you recommended them over Memorial Day! Loved them both - now I've finally read all Ian McEwan!