Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hypothetical Hundreds: BRUUUUUUUUUCE! Edition

The Super Bowl Halftime Show featuring Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is nearly upon us. For years, I’ve enjoyed trying to pick the songs played during the show. I started off humbly with the not very bold assertion that Paul McCartney would close with Hey Jude. Nailed it! Last year, I tried to take bets on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (somehow finding no takers) and totally called his entire set list, in order—American Girl, I Won’t Back Down, Free Fallin’, Runnin’ Down a Dream (typing that made me realize that Tom Petty is a big fan of elision and superfluous apostrophes; Cormac McCarthy would be unimpressed with all that extra punctuation). The Boss, however, has been a tough nut to crack. Will he go obvious or take the Prince route and play almost nothing you would expect? Here’s my best guess:

1) Born in the USA
2) Radio Nowhere
3) Glory Days
4) Born to Run

I think the only sure thing is Born in the USA. The real issue, though, is this: opener or closer? Its anthemic stomp seems more suited to beginnings, while the hurried squall of Born to Run seems a more fitting note on which The Boss can go careening into the Tampa night.

Oh, there’s a football game involved somehow, too. No one seems to think the Arizona Cardinals, generally regarded as a pass-first team, have any chance against the Pittsburgh Steelers, specifically against the Steelers’ league-leading (during the regular season) pass defense. On the other hand, the Cardinals have been quick to go to the run in the post-season, a fact that probably caught the Falcons, Panthers and Eagles off guard. Pittsburgh has had two weeks to prepare for this, but their offense seems to have been improvised for the last couple games. I’m very tempted to go against the grain and take the Cardinals at +7, based on their stouter-than-expected defense, embrace of the run and renaissance of Kurt Warner. So I think I will. Go Cards!

1 comment:

Kent said...

cool idea about the halftime show...he's going to slow it down in there, I bet. Look for "My Hometown" or something like it. Also, He closes with Glory Days.
Is it too much for me to hope he would play Thunder Road?
I'm taking the under no matter what on the game.