Monday, January 26, 2009

Lynn's 25

I was tagged by Dana to make a list of 25 random things about myself. According to Ben, I'm a very strange individual. This should be interesting, so here goes:

1. I've always wanted to be tagged to do something like this. Seriously, I'm never asked to participate in any "tag" games on Facebook or the blog.

2. I rarely have time to make the bed before I leave for work in the morning, but I always make the bed right before I go to sleep at night. I straighten the fitted sheet, tuck in the straight sheet, fluff the duvet, and turn down all the covers. I get visibly upset if Ben or the dog lays down before I've made the bed. Ben thinks this is the weirdest thing I do.

3. A few years ago, I worked in the sports department of a pretty big newspaper. Three days a week I was insanely busy and often worked overtime; the other two days I sat at my computer emailing, looking up recipes, working crossword puzzles, or reading books and newspapers. The strange thing is, I complained about this incessantly. What the hell was I thinking?

4. Now I'm a teacher. I occasionally email or look up a recipe. I cannot remember the last time I worked a crossword puzzle, read anything besides a school newspaper, or finished a book for fun.

5. I do love to read books, watch movies, and listen to music. I think about themes, messages, and lyrics more than most people. I always put myself in the place of the character, role, or speaker; this usually makes me emotional.

6. Did I mention I'm very emotional? I sobbed walking down the aisle at my wedding, even though I'd already seen Ben. I once cried at the end of a movie I'd been watching for 5 minutes [ed. note: this movie was Just Like Heaven. Ugh.] I'm especially prone to cry when I'm very stressed, very tired, or very happy.

7. I love television. I'm drawn to reality shows, teen programming, award shows, reruns...I'm obsessed. My favorite time of the year is when I have a television show for every night of the week.

8. I'm also obsessed with my dog. I never thought I could become that person. My sister gave me my dog, Rupp, when I was lonely after my move to Lexington. He is still so cute and snuggly. When I don't feel good, Rupp mopes around the house too. He is smart and sympathetic. Although I admit this is weird, I'm comforted that so many people behave in the same manner.

9. Rupp and I have only had one fight: when I neutered him. Poor guy.

10. I was also obsessed with my husband. I thought he was absolutely perfect for years. I don't think that way anymore; I just think he is perfect for me.

11. One of my favorite things about Ben is his vocabulary.

12. I love love love my college friends. My kids at school think my life is so tame...if they only knew of my past life!

13. I don't always like Seinfeld. This baffles Ben. I don't always like Days of our Lives. This baffles Dana.

14. I love to cook dinner every night. I devote more hours to our dinner than I do to grading papers or planning lessons at home.

15. Ben and I go out to eat one or two times a week. Unless it's a special occasion, we always go to the same Mexican restaurant.

16. My mom, sister, and I planned my wedding in 4 months. We should go to the Olympics or something.

17. I have a pretty vivid imagination. I credit my mother with this. She used to make my sister and I play all alone--Barbies, dolls, dress up...we rarely watched television on weeknights and I didn't have IM or email until college. I think it is sad when my kids at school talk about spending their lives in front of the TV, Myspace, or Facebook.

18. With that, I have a small internet addiction.

19. When I'm stressed out with school or worried about one/a group of students, I dream about it. Once the school year starts, I worry more and dream about my students all the time.

20. I cannot stand styrofoam; I don't want to hear the pieces rub together. This means I can't take objects out of large boxes and I can't carry home leftovers from restuarants.

21. I'm always sick. I don't mean that I'm a hypochondriac, but I have a very weak immune system and pick up every little bug that goes around my school. My allergies escalate this problem. Carrie, Mom and Ben make fun of me for being so sickly, but I really can't help it.

22. This is just one of the parts of life I complain about. I complain about sickness, chores, work, and the temperature. I would love to change this part of myself...

23. When something is going wrong, I try to blame somebody else. Even if it is my fault. Carrie, Ben and my students are usually the recipients. Is this a coping mechanism for a perfectionist?

24. I have a love-hate relationship with snow days. When winter hits Kentucky, I desperately pray for them; when summer finally comes, I wish I hadn't prayed so hard.

25. I love a glass of wine in the evening, but my favorite drink has to be the bloody mary at Keeneland!

I'm tagging Ben, because no one else reads this blog!

2 comments:

Dana said...

This post makes me miss you! :(

Anonymous said...

Ben is not your only reader...I love getting on here and seeing what you write, it makes me miss you more though!!! p.s....someone else has started a blog as well..you're an inspiration always!
<3 danielle