Friday, March 27, 2009

What a Day

Billy Gillispie's tenure as head coach of the University of Kentucky has officially ended. I typed about five paragraphs of commentary while listening to the official press conference. I read back through it, though, and it wasn't much more than "ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!1! this sux!!1 he needs moar time! but he's a dick! ARGH" So I deleted it. Maybe I'll have some more coherent thoughts later.

Two quick notes: I've had it with "passionate" as a euphemism for "insane" in reference to the Kentucky fan base. People in the national media need to just come out and say "Kentucky has the most retarded, overpriviliged fans in the nation." Sad to say, that would be much more truthful than labeling us passionate. Second, if we hire Travis Ford--who has a reputation of being just as big of a prick as Gillispie--I will, like Andy Bernard when his staple is encased in Jello, lose my freakin mind and start kicking trash cans across my office.

2 comments:

Kent said...

sorry to hear of your disappointment in the situation. I will say this as part of a kindred spirit fanbase (Bama football): It is not unrealistic to expect to compete in your own league every year. I went the other way when the nat'l media used similar adjectives about Alabama's fanbase. Given the history that the program has, the fans, media, boosters, everyone can expect it to be competitive every year. That is not crazy. If he wasn't getting it done/not a good fit, then let him go...but get a good replacement. There's the rub. I'd like to hear who you want to replace him. luckily for UK, it CAN be someone great.

Ben said...

What I meant by this was, when some UK fan does something borderline insane, the national media will say "passionate" when you know they would rather say, "what a bunch of crazy hicks!" I would prefer them to just come out and say it. I don't really have a favorite for the job right now. Lots of ins, lots of outs, lots of what-have-yous. Lots of strands in old Ben's head right now.